Let's go down the list, shall we?
+ Added Nether support to multiplayer -- Yay!
+ Added craftable maps -- Meh.
+ Added hatches -- Eh?
+ Added tall grass in some biomes -- Neat.
+ Mushrooms now spreads (very) slowly -- Cool!
+ Added server property view-distance. Sets the radius of terrain updates (in chunks) to send to the players. Range 3-15, default 10. -- I'll like this.
* It’s no longer possible to build solid blocks on the top layer of the maps (sorry!) -- *shrug*
* Players stuck in walls will slide towards the nearest gap if there is one -- Oh, good. No more suffocating inside walls.
* Made booster tracks speedier -- Yay!
* Severely nerfed fire so it spread slower, and doesn’t spread infinitely -- This makes me sad.
* Seeds are now found in tall grass, using a hoe on the ground no longer works -- Uh huh.
* Blocks destroyed by other players in multiplayer now shows the breaking block particle effect -- Nice.
* Activated dispensers make sounds and trigger particles in multiplayer -- Nice.
* Doors make sound for other players in multiplayer -- Cool.
* The record player now supports more than 15 different songs -- Ooh. A way to make it less useless!
* Fixed running out of memory corrupting the current level -- Finally.
* Fixed the side textures of grass getting extra dark when mining them -- Good.
* Fixed anaglyph 3d rendering mode having severe visual bugs -- Don't care.
* Fixed the crash screen vanishing immediately -- Good.
* Fixed not being able to target blocks when at x or z pos 1000 -- About time.
* Fixed the achievements screen messing up the sky color -- Right.
* Fixed saving while sneaking dropping the player through the ground -- Hah. Yeah, that was weird.
* Fixed a system clock change messing up the game speed -- Aww, no more speed hacks.
* Fixed rain sounds not playing with fast graphics enabled -- I've never heard the rain sound because of this.
* Fixed hair and cloaks being rendered in the wrong locations on sneaking players -- I wonder how you get a cloak?
* Fixed the attack/swing animation not being applied to the armor layer -- Heh, that must look funny.
* Fixed player rotation not being loaded correctly when loading a saved game -- Good.
* Fixed arrow physics, making them not get stuck midair when you open a door -- Yeah, that always looked odd.
* Fixed arrows hitting reeds, portals, and other non-solid blocks -- Goody!
* Fixed keybindings not getting saved properly under certain conditions -- Yeah, I heard about that hitting some people.
* Fixed the player not being able to sneak off lowered blocks like cacti -- I never jump on top of cacti anyway.
* Fixed a bug where the player could mine without swinging their arm -- Yeah, I've hit that one a lot.
* Fixed boats placed on snow being placed too far up -- OK.
* Fixed submerged boats rising very very fast -- Aww, no more boat elevators.
* Fixed sand dropping onto boats getting stuck in a falling animation -- Yeah.
* Fixed a game crash when riding a vehicle or animal into the nether -- Good.
* Fixed falling while riding not dealing damage to the rider -- Makes sense.
* Fixed buttons and levers too close to the player being impossible to use -- Also an annoying bug.
* Fixed dispensers shooting through walls -- Did people use this for traps?
* Fixed fire hurting through wall corners -- Good, I always hated that. Maybe I can build the boiler in my ship, finally! It was corner fire that was doing it.
* Fixed entities reaching water through wall corners -- Weird.
* Fixed placing doors next to cacti creating half-doors -- Haha, I've seen that. What the hell?
* Fixed buttons and levers being placeable on leaves in “fast graphics” mode -- I didn't even know you could do that.
* Fixed furnaces and dispensers not dropping their contents when destroyed -- Good idea.
* Fixed dispensers biasing later slots -- Eh?
* Fixed farmland taking too long to dig -- Maybe I'll finally use farmland.
* Fixed tilling below some blocks being possible -- OK.
* Fixed tilling the underside of blocks somehow working -- Haha.
* Fixed fences and stairs sometimes becoming invisible -- Yeah, seen that one.
* Fixed walking on top of fences not producing step sounds -- Also seen that.
* Fixed fire sometimes existing mid-air as an invisible block of pain -- Heh, "invisible block of pain." Maybe that should be a real block ID.
* Fixed fences and wooden stairs not being flammable -- OH SHIT.
* Fixed fire effect on burning entities sometimes getting rendered in the wrong location -- I never saw that.
* Fixed fishing rod rendering being a bit lacking -- Never fished.
* Fixed fishing rods being stackable -- Aww.
* Fixed mining glass hiding the clouds behind the glass -- Never saw that.
* Fixed rain falling through liquids -- Never knew it did that.
* Fixed items in glass blocks not getting ejected properly -- I did not know that happened, either.
* Fixed water interacting strangely with glass -- Or that.
* Fixed glass not blocking rain sound -- Since I've never heard rain I'll have to take his word fo rit.
* Fixed fences and signs preventing grass from growing -- Good, that kind of annoyed me.
* Fixed rain and snow being incorrectly lit -- Don't think I've experienced that.
* Fixed grass staying alive below stair blocks -- Makes sense.
* Fixed the achievement screen not pausing the game -- Also a good idea.
* Fixed some screens breaking the sky tint color -- Right.
* Fixed fullscreen mode switching causing mouse issues and screen closes -- Yeah, I've had that.
* Fixed chat messages surviving through game switches -- Never saw that.
* Fixed ice so it regenerates regardless of whether it’s snowing or not -- Splendid!
* Fixed rain falling too slowly -- Fast rain ftw!
* Fixed levers being placeable on weird locations -- Damn levers.
* Fixed floor levers sometimes not delivering a signal downwards -- Good.
* Fixed floor levers sometimes not being removed when the floor is removed -- Also good.
* Fixed rail tiles sometimes not properly connecting to a new neighbor -- Yeah, lots of people reported this.
* Fixed minecarts next to each other causing extreme velocities (sorry!) -- Uh oh, no more boosters!
Guess everyone will have to switch to powered rails.
* Fixed wolves not following their owner if the name has different caps -- What an odd-ass bug.
* Fixed creepers retaining charge level when they can’t see their target -- Yeah, this always seemed like a bug so I'm glad it's being fixed.
* Fixed dying in the nether spawning new portals -- This also seemed like a bug.
* “Fixed” beds in the nether -- I guess that means they'll work now? Haven't used the Nether lately since my server doesn't have it. Will be nice to be able to play the Nether, though!
* Fixed inventory acting weird when portaling by making the portal close all screens -- Haven't seen that.
* Fixed wooden pressure plates being mined with pickaxes -- OK.
* Fixed redstone repeaters having the wrong particles -- Hah.
* Fixed saplings being plantable through snow onto non-grass blocks -- Didn't know you could do that.
* Fixed ore density varying per quadrant from the center of the world -- Finally fixing the floating-point precision errors! Not that it will do any good on previously-generated chunks.
* Fixed dispenser graphics being one pixel off. ONE PIXEL!!! -- Hah!
* Fixed mushrooms spawning everywhere during nights -- I never saw that, that would've been cool.
* Fixed animals only spawning near light during the night -- This also makes sense.
* Fixed the multiplayer join screen input field being too short -- Yeah, I saw instances where you couldn't enter the full address.
* Fixed IPv6 addresses being parsed wrongly. To connect to a specific port in IPv6, use the format [1234:567::1]:25565 -- IPv6 support. Neat!
* Fixed network packets being sent unbuffered, causing huge amounts of packets being sent -- That would probably explain some of our lag.
* Fixed entity positions going out of synch sometimes. They get re-synched every 20 seconds now. -- Good idea.
* Fixed inventory icons not animating after being picked up in multiplayer -- OK.
* Fixed mushroom soup not leaving a bowl in multiplayer -- Yay, bowls!
* Fixed entities above the map height limit becoming invisible --
One wonders how they even get that high.
* Fixed healing not flashing the health bar in multiplayer -- I thought it always flashed.
* Fixed arrows being animated really strangely in multiplayer -- Don't think I've shot any arrows to notice.
* Fixed arrows triggering too many entity move updates in multiplayer -- Nice.
* Fixed the compass not pointing at the spawn location in multiplayer -- Yay!!!
* Fixed fires being impossible to put out in multiplayer -- Yikes. I didn't know that happened.
* Fixed record players spawning client-side fake records in multiplayer -- Never built a record player in SMP.
* Fixed records not playing for other players in multiplayer -- See above.
* Fixed players spawning in the wrong location and quickly lerping to the correct location -- lerping? Heh.
* Fixed monsters not being visible for players with their difficulty set to peaceful -- Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
* Fixed pigs getting hit by lightning in multiplayer spawning client-side zombie pigmen -- He should've just made it work that way by design.
* Fixed loads of exploding tnt generating way too many particles, possibly crashing the client -- I've seen videos of that. Crazy.
* Fixed bonemeal use in multiplayer sometimes spawning fake client-side trees -- Weird.
* Fixed saplings sometimes spawning trees client-side in multiplayer -- Haven't seen that.
* Fixed weather sometimes changing client-side in multiplayer -- Have not seen that either.
* Fixed grasscolor.png and foliagecolor.png not being read from texture packs -- Finally! I'm sure the Painterly folks will be thrilled to hear that.
* Fixed stats getting saved to different files in offline mode if the caps in the player name differ from the true spelling -- Also nice.
Overall, lots of annoying bugs got fixed, but some bugs people have come to exploit (boosters, boat elevators) are going away, so people will have to find new mechanics. I guess boat elevators will still work, they just won't be as crazy fast. And the fixes to wooden stairs mean there is no protection for wooden structures against lightning. You'll have to put down a non-wooden roof or you risk catastrophe! Maybe I'll throw down some stone half-blocks on top of my wooden buildings. My ship is safe since it's in a desert biome where there are no storms, thankfully.