View Single Post
Old May 23 2011, 07:13 PM   #14
Scottish Andy
Cadet

Getting ST:New Worlds to run on Windows 7

Hello all;

I like repeatedly returning to this game and playing it, even over large spans of time where I cannot get it to run on a particular OS or machine.

I have been playing this game on my work laptop (Dell Latitude E6500 running WinXP SP3) after getting it to work there using the Win NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5) compatibility mode.

I have just bought myself a new Gateway DX4320 Win7 machine with quad 2.9GHz Athalon processors and 4Gb of RAM. Many other of my ST games work, including 'Starfleet Command: Orion Pirates' and 'Bridge Commander'. However, 'Birth of the Federation' and 'New Worlds' will not run. BotF freezes within a minute of game play, and NW will not start up the actual game, even though the intro movie and set-up/mission selection screens do work.

I tried duplicating the settings my laptop used, but to no avail. I've tried selecting all combinations of the checkboxes, as well as each compatibility mode. I've even reduced my screen resolution to 1024x768, turned off the Win7 advanced graphics (composition) and attempted it with the laptop settings; it simply will not start the game.

I've recently read that the game is just not happy with a 64-bit system and/or with over 2Gb of RAM.

Can anyone offer any knowledge/advice/help?

Thanks,

Andy
Scottish Andy is offline   Reply With Quote