View Single Post
Old May 21 2011, 07:08 PM   #620
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

Well, I finished Adversary. It was pretty good as well--not quite as atmospheric as the first novel, but a bit faster-paced, with more action.

This time, I recognized a number of borrowings from The Satanic Bible. The story is set in San Francisco, where the undead Templar necromancer from Next, After Lucifer attracts disciples and victims by posing as some kind of mysterious psychic guru. He even talks about "psychic vampires," at one point.

Interestingly, the story also reminded me of The Devil's Advocate. The Al Pacino/Keanu Reeves film was based on a novel by Andrew Neidermann, which was published years after Adversary, and apparently wasn't as good. I hope Daniel Rhodes laid a curse on Neidermann for stealing his movie deal.

The ending is clearly designed to leave room for a third book, but it seems this third book was never written. Rhodes has published a third novel entitled Kiss of Death, in the same vein, but apparently it's unrelated.

Next up: The Bedeviled by Thomas Cullinan (1978)
The house made people do strange things... too horrible for the mind to conceive... too ungodly for the soul to fight.

Last edited by Goalie Mask; May 21 2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Preview of coming attractions
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote