View Single Post
Old May 15 2011, 12:55 AM   #164
OverlordSpock
Lieutenant Commander

View OverlordSpock's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: DTI: Watching The Clock Review Thread

I rated the book "Average". Not because I didn't enjoy it, but because I've enjoyed Christopher's other books so much more.

Honestly, although I did enjoy the book overall, it was a bit hard to slog through it from...er...time to time. I normally enjoy books with very complex plots that interweave back and forth with many disparate parts that eventually tie together, but this one lost me more than once, forcing me to go back and re-read certain sections. It took me two weeks to read this book and I normally finish most books in four to five days.

The other thing that hurt the book in my mind (and something I didn't enjoy about the Temporal Cold War in Enterprise and so many episodes of Voyager) is that it just makes time travel look so easy. I am, personally, very uncomfortable with that idea (for a wide variety of reasons that I shall not go into here). But these agents from different centuries and different timelines showing up and leaving at a whim just...frustrated me. Don't get me wrong though: I knew this kind of thing was going to happen in this book going in.

That being said, I really liked the character of Jenna Noi. I really liked how ambiguous her loyalties were for her first few appearances in the book (and kinda wished they had stayed ambiguous). I liked Lucsly's and Dulmurs reactions every time she showed up. I loved how she mercilessly teased Lucsly.

The book was a good solid offering by Christopher. I just really liked his other books better.
OverlordSpock is offline   Reply With Quote