View Single Post
Old May 14 2011, 08:26 PM   #720
Captain Mike
Commodore

Re: Smallville10x21&22 "Finale" Discuss/Grade

O'Dib wrote: View Post
Y'know, I think it's actually pretty difficult to fuck up Superman's origin story. It's simple, iconic, strikes all the right notes. I've read nearly all iterations of it out there. Sadly the last "Secret Origins" one's gotta be the worst. And it borrows heavily from Smallville, go figure. This show was really confused about its purpose. It started as a "grounded", "realistic" portrayal of how the Man of Steel got his start. Someone who knew nothing about Superman was supposed to be able to watch this and understand and believe why someone would end up wearing red undies over his tights, all under his boxers and pants. What we got instead was its compulsion to not take us there, making the sudden transformation so much more laughable. Knowing they'd have him on for 5 seconds of screen time, they never bothered to tailor a Superman suit that would fit Welling, and ended up making a goofy cg rendering of him instead. Super-disappointing and downright evil in the scale of the let-down this was.

It seems that the only disappointment that viewers like yourself didn't get what "you" wanted to see. This "start" was from an complete and different ideal origin of what was already known.
With thinking it was different from say apples and oranges, I THOUROUGHLY enjoyed all 10 seasons.