View Single Post
Old May 14 2011, 04:48 PM   #161
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Trek: DTI: Watching The Clock Review Thread

Glitch wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm not a Heinlein fan and I've never read anything with Lazarus Long in it.
You did, however, reference him in your annotations.
Only because I discovered after the fact that the euphemism "'fresher" for "bathroom," which has been used in Trek literature since the '80s, actually originated with Heinlein. And I only know that because it occurred to me to look up the term in the SF Terminology Citations database when I came across it in a Star Wars novel as well. (I usually don't read SW novels, but I came upon Death Star by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry at the library, and I was curious.)

I'm much more interested in your referencing of Stephen Baxter. Did you enjoy The Time Ships? I thought it was fantastic...he's truly an underrated SF author.
I thought it was pretty effective and interesting, a successful melding of Wells pastiche with modern quantum theory. Though there's one really big plot hole that bugs me -- if every time travel sends you to an alternate timeline, then how did the folks in the time-travelling tanks end up getting back to the same early-20th-century timeline they originated in?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote