View Single Post
Old May 14 2011, 06:14 AM   #630
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Re: Smallville10x21&22 "Finale" Discuss/Grade

Well, I watched the first 3 seasons but then gave up on it. And then I caught one or two episodes per year thereafter. To say I was expecting a shit-show from this finale would be seriously understating the case.

...And I actually really enjoyed it. It wasn't classic TV or anything but not once during the two hours did I feel like I was wasting my time. All the emotional beats (even the stuff in the first hour) landed for me. I was gonna cry foul on the CGI Superman but basically, CGI or not, Supes was on Smallville. And they really earned a lot of good will with that Seven Years Later bit.

From what I've seen of this show, it was often pretty brutal with fleeting glimpses of greatness. Given that, I think they pulled off the best finale they possibly could have. We got the obligatory Superman moments and the rest was devoted to tying up Smallville shit. And that's okay. Like it or not, this show has been doing its own thing for a very long time now and it's not fair to expect it to deny its origins. It can't help but be Smallville-y in its final episode.

It gets an Above Average from me. And that's a real grade. If I were grading on a curve, it'd easily be the best thing Smallville's ever done.

Last edited by DeafPoet; May 14 2011 at 06:32 AM.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote