View Single Post
Old May 12 2011, 04:58 PM   #522
Vastator
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts Of Empire review thread

Managed to read the book and I enjoyed it. I must confess that I largely read it due to the appearance of the Romulans and the Vulcan Unification Movement. I wasnt too keen on Sisko leaving Kassidy personally but don't hold that against the book or author. I do feel that David R. George III captured the Romulans very nicely and would love to see him write some more on the Romulans.

I particularly enjoy the insights into Romulan society like the Hundred and Romulan Security (really enjoyed the portrayal of these guys like the imagery conjured with the raptor holding a shield). It was quite nice and liked the political environment with Spock's involvement in the entire thing. Somewhat saddened about Donatra since I liked the character. But, anyway, it was quite good in that regard and I am curious on the way things go for the Romulans now.

The only odd thing I find is the fate of the IRS. But its not something I have against the book itself since i wasnt too fond of the IRS plotline. So, seeing that arc resolved I find somewhat satisfying but seeing it in the grand scheme of things; just seems odd that the IRS is formed, some political tension happens and it gets absorbed back. But as I said, its just seeing this in the grand scheme of things so I don't hold that fault with the book itself.

Anyway, gets 4.5 out of 5 stars from me