View Single Post
Old May 11 2011, 07:40 PM   #19
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Re: What new FX/editing do you want to see in the STNG-R?

Holdfast wrote: View Post
To be honest, I'll be more than happy with a general sharpening of the image quality, especially in the first few seasons, and then redoing/updating any effects that look "off" as a result of the higher resolution. Otherwise leave them be.
I a agree with that in many cases, although I am on the "more ship shots" bus. It would be so nice to see the D and other ships in unique shots for every episode.
I think there must be a common thread of model builders here - people who respect the original FX of any series and the dinosaurian art of model building for film.

RAMA wrote: View Post
Art Vandelay wrote: View Post
I wish they'd redo all the spaceship exterior shots using the original film elements instead of going CGI. Models provide the shots with a certain gravity and scale that just wasn't there with the TOS-R all-CGI Enterprise. However, I am 99.9% sure that this will remain wishful thinking.

So, I guess my wish is that they leave the shots the way they are, just make them better looking. Some things that definitely need to be redone are:

- A few more fly-by perspectives of the Enterprise.

- More realistic planets.

- Replacing the Excelsior-class ship with different vessels in that oft-repeated fly-alongside shot.

- New beam-in shots of planet surfaces. Should give the illusion that the surface of Vagra II (Skin of Evil) is no soundstage.

- New planetary establishing shots. They repeated the Angel One cityscape far too often (later even in DS9 and Voyager.)

I honestly feel that some CGI work when hastily done on movies or TV can be of irregular quality.... however there are examples in the 90s and many in the 2000s where the CGI work is fully up to reality. The spacecraft designs I've seen lately in movies look better, more solid and more realistic than ever to me. I think ST09 effortlessly made CGI look like real live models but with all the improvements that allow movement on a scale not achievable with motion control.

I know I may be in the slight minority here, but the Gabriel Koerner model is my favorite of all the Enterprise models real or CGI, even if its imperfect. I think it bodes well for any remastering project if they give it a few corrections and tweaks.
I find some agreement here. I don't think CGI is necessarily going to look cold and dead. (And I wonder if there is something to the framerate with the TOS-R Enterprise. In some shots the movement just looks unnatural)
It can suffer from hyper-realism and cartoonishness which we saw with the SW prequels IMO ~
But as you say the texturing and particle effects and such are a lot better. Even on PC platforms the last generation or two of video cards has produced metallic and organic looking textures (especially on a CRT).

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Just give me more than the 7 recycled Enterprise fx shots and I'll be happy.
Especially in latter seasons, with that closeup of the 4-foot model shown at nearly every break.

Dennis wrote: View Post
All existing footage of Denise Crosby should be replaced with Katee Sackhoff.
Also, the light metal theme for "Tin Man" should be put back in.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote