View Single Post
Old May 10 2011, 11:24 PM   #34
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Re: Django Unchained--Tarintino's new project

But he did refuse to participate in a gay kiss for Six Degrees of Separation (though he's since said he regrets it)
Really? Now my memory of the movie is a bit fuzzy since I haven't seen it in awhile, but I do recall Smith simulating humping another guy naked in the movie. How could he be okay with that and refuse to do a gay kiss?

I always enjoy Tarantino's movies and I'm sure I would like this new one too, but I'm a bit disappointed that he's going the "alternate American history" route again like with "Inglourious Basterds" where he takes real history and fiddles with it so that it plays out in his fantasy way.

Again, I'm sure it will be entertaining, but I'd like to see him do a more "real" movie again like "Reservoir Dogs", "Pulp Fiction", or "Jackie Brown". I know those movies have some preposterous things happen in them that you're unlikely to ever see (or even hear about) in real life, but they still feel more "real" to me than his last few movies.

His early flicks feel like they all take place in our world with characters we could actually meet or read about. Stuff like Stuntman Mike's car and The Bride's fighting skills, on the other hand, felt like pure fantasies. Stylized movie creations. People and stories that take place in a heightened movie world of his imagination rather than the real world. That doesn't mean I didn't like them.

Actually, "Kill Bill, Vol. 2" is my favourite movie of his after "Pulp Fiction", but even though the new one will be in a supposedly different category from "Inglourious Basterds" (western instead of war movie), it sounds like a bit of retread to me. He's already done the skewed history angle...I'd like to see Tarantino try something a bit more grounded in reality.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote