View Single Post
Old May 10 2011, 08:16 PM   #28
JJohnson
Captain

Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

RAMA wrote: View Post
exalted one wrote: View Post
I surely hope they'll hire someone else to do it. Okudas, no matter how much I respect their work, took way too much liberty with original Star Trek. Turning black-on-white clock display into yellow-on-black for no good reason (totally oblivious to the fact black on white is inherently easier to read and thus much more probable to be used in a professional environment)? Making stars tiny, almost invisible in standard definition? Recoloring all the pretty planets for the sake of "realism"? TNG doesn't need no such tampering, does it?

No, they did treat it with a lot of respect, and the creators from the original series who are still alive thought so too. Honestly your examples are so miniscule and ridiculous I laughed out loud when I saw it. If anything they should have done MORE work on the original show, not less...but I am satified the product struck a balance that satisfied most people.

RAMA
I'm a bit annoyed to this day that they didn't re-do all the planet skies to look like more than just dinky colored backdrops. Putting in clouds, the occasional bird or bird-like creature, a sun, a moon or three, that would've gone a long way to help the show look better, as well as taking all the upper displays on the bridge and actually animating them so they don't look like little more than portraits.

For TNG, I hope they redo all the FX, especially the planets, and create a few alternative ship flyby shots instead of that one off-angle, through-the-neck view that they over-used.

TNG-R can't come soon enough!
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote