View Single Post
Old May 8 2011, 05:07 PM   #37
Alex1939
Captain

Re: So I've started watching Supernatural...

mswood wrote: View Post
Yes there has been an episode where the brothers don't appear together (nor are they working together).
So there are several times in the story that they get mad and part ways, but only one episode where they don't appear together? (and I assume we are talking about the first 5 seasons, as previously said I quit watching during season 6.)

mswood wrote:
And while yes the episodes do devote some time each episode to show the brothers reactions to the events of their lives or the behavior of the other. Thats realistic. Every day you experience events that remind you about your past and current problems. You react, be in just a look, or a change in tone. Your at work and a coworker talks about something that makes you think of your own experiences (be it better or worse) you react to that. Each and everyone of us does throughout or waking life.
Supernatural is a TV show. It is not real life. I do not enjoy the brotherly bitchfest that occurs in EVERY episode. It occurs WAY TOO OFTEN and doesn't need to be shoehorned in every single episode for we the viewers to understand that they have issues.

You obviously disagree and that's fine. To me it's complete overkill and eventually led me to roll my eyes everytime it would come up.

mswood wrote:
When Sam knows something is off, something is deeply wrong, does he just open up and talk to Dean about it. Nope sure doesn't.
Now maybe I should ask if YOU actually watch the show. Sam would just whine, what's wrong Dean??

mswood wrote:
In my family experiences and the experience I have witnessed in others, thats fairly true to life. You dodge and deflect and only talk when you really have no other choice or things have gotten seriously, seriously bad. But you always react, even if its subtile in your day to day life, you always react.
You also probably aren't around that person every single day of your life.

And again, it's a TV show, not real life. I don't need to see brotherly angst in every episode to understand that it exist between the characters.

mswood wrote:
I think that when I hear a viewer state that this show has too much angst there are two ways of taking that statement.

1. That it isn't valid for the characters to be experiencing strong emotional reactions to their environment and experiences.

or

2. The viewer just doesn't want to see that in their entertainment.

I can understand 2, as their are programs that are great and well crafted but don't appeal to me for weekly entertainment. But number 1, I can't as the show really doesn't focus so much on the real emotional and physical trauma these two characters would experience.
Definitely 2. But part of number 1. It's not realistic for me to see it constantly carry out the way it does in supernatural. Either they would permanently go their separate ways or they would be men about it and stop constantly bringing up their issues to each other.
Alex1939 is offline   Reply With Quote