View Single Post
Old May 7 2011, 02:41 PM   #36
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Re: Red Dwarf series 9 (or is it 10?) in 2012 confirmed by Craig Charl

Red Dwarf lost its mojo when Rob Grant left and never recovered, despite a brief flicker of life in a few scenes of Series VIII. I couldn't bear the underlying concept of Back to Earth, so have still only seen partial scenes of it. Can't say I feel I've missed anything interesting.

I'll probably tune in to a new proper series though. Provided it's set in deep space on the mining ship Red Dwarf, empty apart from the old core cast playing Lister, Rimmer, Kryten and Cat. I don't mind if Kochanski is there or not, though. Her inclusion would be OK. Holly can be played by either Lovett or Hayridge, I don't care.

Most importantly, Doug Naylor just cannot write Red Dwarf on his own, or in a large majority role. That's probably my biggest reservation about the new series. He just lacks the more acerbic bite of Rob Grant's sharper sense of humour. Naylor seems good with concepts and his humour comes across as different/softer which is fine some of the time but Dwarf also needs edge.

PS. Pingfah: Claire Grogan's understandably lost that youthful minxyness these days. More naughty suburban mum. Still wouldn't complain, though, she still looks pretty great...
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote