View Single Post
Old April 26 2011, 02:27 PM   #54
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Trek: DTI: Watching The Clock Review Thread

timothy wrote: View Post
okay so I read rough beast of empire dti:wtc and then ifm? would that be right chris^?
It doesn't matter what order you read WTC and IFM relative to each other, because they have virtually nothing to do with one another. WTC does contain one small spoiler for RBoE, but otherwise they have virtually nothing to do with each other either.

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Just finished. Random natterings below:

The characters were interesting, and since they're almost all new creations or minor guest stars it's definitely worth noting as a success of the novel. Seeing how the established canonical information for the two leads is all variation on the basic theme of "they're dull", it's impressive how Dulmur and Lucsly were made so likable. It must have been challenging, but using their slightly aggressive blandness as an advantage (demonstrating how and why it suits them to their jobs, etc) worked quite well. Of course, D and L are doing that themselves, aren't they - cultivating their dullness as something beneficial?
Well, I think that's a little unfair to the writers and actors in "Trials and Tribble-ations." I found that Lucsly & Dulmur's 3 minutes and 45 seconds of screen time gave me essentially everything I needed to get a handle on their personalities. Their dialogue and the performances of James W. Jansen and Jack Blessing told me that while Dulmur was more talkative and outgoing, Lucsly was the more knowledgeable, senior agent to whom Dulmur deferred; that both men were good at quickly calculating dates, but Dulmur had to think about it while Lucsly did it better and with savantlike ease; that Lucsly knows temporal regulations by heart; etc. A critical bit was that last moment where Dulmur told Sisko he would've spoken to Kirk too, and Lucsly just glowered. That told me that they were both serious on the job, but the difference was that Dulmur could turn it off and be more human.

And pretty much the rest of the work was done by Bill Leisner in "Gods, Fate, and Fractals" in SNW II, which basically portrayed Lucsly as Joe Friday. That plus the episode gave me the template for the characters.

Although I drew on a lot of similar character types for Lucsly -- there's a lot of Joe Friday in him, but also a lot of Phileas Fogg, some Sherlock Holmes, some Egon Spengler, and some Jamie Hyneman from Mythbusters. Dulmur is more simple, basically Jack Blessing's own screen persona plus some Bill Gannon plus maybe some Lennie Briscoe. I cribbed the idea of his divorce from Dayton Ward's "Almost, But Not Quite" in SNW II, and his whole character arc grew out of that tidbit.

Its also a point worth making that, as I assume is true of most people, I think of them as "Dulmur and Lucsly", but the novel made it more "Lucsly and Dulmur".
Most people probably read too much into the "Mulder and Scully" allusion in their names. Like I said, the clear sense I got from the episode was that Lucsly was the senior agent.

Oh, and, Christopher, would I be right in assuming the Shirna are the "Bucktooth" aliens, they of the infamously hated makeup?
No, but you're in the right ballpark. They're these guys:

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Unnamed...riangular_head

Intriguing. I never thought of it that way. It just kinda happened. Although I guess

As for the

Heh-heh-heh.

In fact,

Wow. Nicely said. But yeah, I definitely wanted to embrace the mundanity of their work and make it a virtue. The title Watching the Clock is meant to convey that sense of a humdrum, 9-to-5 routine as well as the sense of monitoring and protecting the timeline -- so it's combining the mundane and the profound in the same three words, which pretty much sums up the DTI right there.

I'm not sure that's quite right.

That wasn't my motivation at all.

Great review, very thoughtful. I appreciate it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote