View Single Post
Old April 24 2011, 08:08 PM   #222
OverlordSpock
Lieutenant Commander

View OverlordSpock's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic Review Thread

I finished the book up yesterday and rated it "Above Average". To be honest, I probably would have rated it "Average" but for one major point.

First, I enjoyed seeing Geordi get some development, as others have said. I also enjoy seeing what's going on in other corners of the TrekVerse besides just the Enterprise and other show settings.

Qat was a wonderful character and I very definitely insist that we see more of her in the future. The chief engineer was an interesting character, and I loved the way he spoke, but I think too much of him would be a bad thing.

The problems, however, were many.

As others have mentioned (and David has responded to), there was way too much small universe syndrome here and it really stretched credulity for me. I enjoyed seeing the characters, but I just couldn't stop thinking "Yeah, right" about their appearances.

The flow of the book was way too abrupt. There were way too many really short scenes. The book just seemed like it was wildly swinging back and forth between different characters and/or situations. There were aspects of the book that just weren't dealt with in an in-depth enough way. I like my TrekLit to be deeper.

Although I get why this is, there was a lot more technobabble than I really like. Especially in the second half, it made the book difficult to read as I tried to figure out what the characters were saying.

Lastly,

That all being said, this book ended up ranking as an "Above Average" because dang if this wasn't one of the most fun books I've read in ages. David, you made me smile a lot because, despite the problems, I was having FUN reading it. Yes, other books have been fun and enjoyable, but they weren't necessarily FUN. I commend you!
OverlordSpock is offline   Reply With Quote