View Single Post
Old April 21 2011, 05:57 PM   #95
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: My Dungeon Game [work in progress]

Programming is just problem-solving. If you can take a problem, break it down into steps, and devise a process for solving it, you've already done most of the work and the code is just a formality.

I've found that people who only know how to code in one language start to approach all their problems through the lens of that language's limitations and conventions. It makes it very, very hard to solve problems the language isn't suited to, and difficult to learn other languages at all because you lack the theoretical background to reduce a problem to that level of abstraction.

To point (ii), I hate questions like that. While it pays to know the "gotchas" of any language you're working with, not knowing them doesn't make you a bad programmer. It's not the programmer's fault that a language does something non-intuitive or outright brain-damaged. Ideally, you just fix the code to work the way you want and put a comment next to it, indicating why you had to write such a workaround in the first place.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote