Thread: Minecraft
View Single Post
Old April 20 2011, 08:16 PM   #658
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Minecraft

Kimi3013 wrote: View Post
I poked about looking for a EULA, I had just assumed that there was one when I paid for it as there normally is one. Revers engineering stuff is normally there, but turns out there's no EULA but there some words from Notch saying you can make your mods, just no distribution of his code. That does change things.
Yeah, and I think the "no distribution of code" caveat is fair enough. That's pretty standard.

If I was him I'd still not be wanting to work directly with the modders as you could still get into awkward legal spots down the line should need to go after a project you had worked with (and thus approved of) for distributed the code. It's not that there's a problem with him working with them, more it could weaken his position if it ever came up.
Copyright law does not work that way. Mojang can assist any mod project they want to and make that contingent on respecting Minecraft's copyrights. If they assist a project which later violates copyright law, Mojang is not suddenly in a weakened position because of that unless they actually authorized such redistribution.

I don't think there's any evidence of the API, you've just got to trust the developers on it. There may be some hooks added into the code itself that's released, but I don't look at that to know. We've paid for an unfinished game that my never be released, so we must be trusting them already to get the job done really.
But if there was a mod API, we wouldn't have to rely on Mojang to finish everything.

As for transparency, it doesn't have happen until there's an API for me. Right now people are just doing whatever, and know that an API is on the way so you're asking to be bitten in my eyes.

Still, it would be great if CraftBukkit didn't have to break every week. The guy who was hosting the server I used to play on got sick of it and has given up running the server until things levelled out.
Yeah, I am probably going to run a vanilla server for the moment, since I don't seem to have any other options and there's no clear word on when there will be a Bukkit update.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote