View Single Post
Old April 18 2011, 10:34 AM   #191
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: Star Trek: TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic Review Thread

ICW wrote: View Post
*Spoilers*

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this novel. On the one hand, I liked how the novel centered around Geordi; his character has never been taken to new heights nor has his character been very interesting in the recent "relaunch" novels. I am a little disappointed, however, that the Challenger was destoryed. I would have liked to have seen him get out of the situation with the Challenger surviving.

As it pertains to Scotty...I don't believe he is dead. I think we'll see a novel where he somehow escaped and is marooned somewhere (a planet? ship?) where he is healed and not on the brink of death.
It's one of those things where if someone comes up with a story featuring him, then he'll have escaped and survived, and if nobody does, then he's dead...

I confess that, although I intended the latter, just before the book was commissioned, I was working on another pitch with 24th Century Scotty, which is a story I'd still love to do, so if that goes forward... The "out" for him was kind of designed with a mind to leading into that possible story should it ever happen.

But there are a bunch of other pitches I made which are ahead of it in both my mind and in arrival at S&S, so don't hold your breath.

I liked the additions of Nog, Leah, Barcaly, and Guinan; I could have lived with Ogawa, Rasmussen, Bok...it just felt like such a perfect example of small universe syndrome. The reasonings for them showing up were resonable enough but still...

I just...I don't know. It was a decent read, not my favorite but certainly not a horrific novel or even a below average novel.

I'd rate it slightly (and I mean *slightly*) above average...
Good enough for me - as long as it took your mind off the mundane for a few hours and you don't feel you wasted your money, my job is done.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote