View Single Post
Old April 17 2011, 09:05 PM   #1352
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
Maybe a cityscape similar to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.
If you're talking about the scenes on Krypton, I'd say yes. If you're talking about Metropolis, I'd say no. It's best to set Superman NOW, instead of yesterday.

davejames wrote: View Post
Hopefully they can find a way to make Krypton look advanced without just looking like another futuristic city you'd see in a Star Trek movie.

One thing I always appreciated about the Donner Krypton is how it truly felt like a strange, alien world from another time (or even another plane of existence). That hint of fantasy lent a real magic to the character from the very start, which probably wouldn't have come through as strongly if he existed only in the strict, scifi world of spaceships and alien planets.

Donner clearly understood that, and I'm hoping Nolan and Snyder do as well...
No, sorry, but what was seen in the Donner movie was complete bullshit, IMHO. There's NO WAY that humanoid beings would be able to live in such a world as seen in the Donner movies, period. How do they eat? What do they drink? How do they live? And how do they breathe air? Do they eat crystal food? And unless I was dreaming, the world of Krypton was depicted as a 'strict, scifi world of spaceships and alien planets' in the comic books, albeit with the same natural flora and fauna as seen here on Earth.

Sorry again, but I want to see a Krypton similar to the Krypton shown on Superman: The Animated Series (and don't tell me that it can't be done; similar worlds were shown on Star Trek [TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise] for less money than what was supposedly spent by John Barry [not the same guy who was a composer] to design Krypton for the 1978 movie.) Snyder will want to put his own stamp on what Krypton looks like, and he'll have the money to do so, with today's CGI tech making it possible just as it was made possible on Enterprise and in Star Trek Nemesis for less money that will be budgeted for this upcoming movie.

Last edited by Dusty Ayres; April 17 2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Added extra points
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote