View Single Post
Old April 12 2011, 07:06 AM   #343
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Virtually every negative comment I've seen about this movie makes some mention of Sofia Coppola as Mary Corleone. It's...not a strong performance, by any means; she has some good facial expressions here and there, but her line deliveries are pretty much all monotone. She hardly ruins the movie, but several scenes would have been significantly better with a different actress.

Of the four young directors who transformed Hollywood in the 1970s (the other three being Spielberg, Lucas, and Scorsese; I recall Coppola, Lucas and Spielberg jointly presenting Scorsese with his Best Director Oscar for The Departed), Coppola's star rose the quickest, one could argue it shone the brightest (he's not my personal favourite of them), and also fell with equal speed. Coppola was pretty much done as an artist by 1980, while Spielberg and Scorsese went on to garner acclaim for decades to come, and Lucas remained a popcultural force if not a significant director.
I didn't mind Sofia's acting much (although I was mildly irritated by how wooden it was at times) so much as the whole idea of the plot she was involved in. Nobody comes right out and says it, but what's going on between her and the Andy Garcia character is basically verging on incest, which is such a stupid idea, especially because it's played so seriously.

I think of George Lucas and Coppola similarly - massively overrated. Most of their movies I've seen were either mediocre or terrible. "Apocalypse Now", "The Outsiders", and "The Conversation" bored the shit out of me.

I can't deny the first three Star Wars movies were well-made, they just didn't do anything for me. "American Graffiti" was very shallow and empty, and "Revenge of the Sith" was atrocious. Really haven't enjoyed anything by Coppola other than the first two Godfather movies and "Peggy Sue Got Married".
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote