View Single Post
Old April 11 2011, 09:51 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

Re: The Continuity of Days Gone By

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Let's see, going through Voyages of the Imagination, I'd list the following as definite parts of the 1980s Pocket novel continuity, keeping in mind that it's a fairly loose continuity: <snip>

Uhura's Song
Shadow Lord (references McIntyre's Sulu backstory)
Dwellers in the Crucible
Deep Domain
How Much for Just the Planet?
Strangers from the Sky
Christopher: I'm pretty sure that all of these slipped my notice in the "Charting" thread. As I'm trying to find time to work on an update to the "Charting" thread, I hope you don't mind a few qustions on specifics? Any help would be appreciated.

You note Sulu's backstory for Shadow Lord, and I assume that the Klingons in Ford's "How Much..." were consistant with The Final Reflection, but the others? Did they just use the Klinzhai/Rihannsu models for the Klingons and Romulans, or were there other connections? (Characters/events?) It's been soooo long since I've read any of these books...
Uhura's Song references the felinoid security officer "Snarl" from The Entropy Effect.

Dwellers in the Crucible drew heavily on both Duane's Rihannsu and Ford's Klingons, and in fact I believe it was the first time that Ford's or Duane's versions of those species were utilized by a different author, so I'm surprised it wasn't already on your list.

Deep Domain was, I believe, referenced in Time for Yesterday.

Strangers from the Sky is referenced in Spock's World, although with minor adjustments; SftS claimed that the "official" human first contact was between a ship named Amity and the indigenous inhabitants of Alpha Centauri, but SW retconned the Amity's first contact to be with the Andorians.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote