View Single Post
Old April 11 2011, 09:40 PM   #6
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: The Continuity of Days Gone By

Thrawn wrote: View Post
The information in the "Charting the Novel-verse" thread pinned at the top of the forum should be more than sufficient.
I'm really glad that people are finding that thread of use. I was afraid that nobody would care. What you would be looking for is listed in the TOS section listed under "The Rihannsu-verse", but I think Christopher actually listed more books than I did.

It's worth noting that the "The Continuity of Days Gone By" has touched upon the modern continuity in several ways. One of Diane Duane's characters appeared in one of KRAD's SCE tales, and the Romulan history created by Duane was largely been kept intact for the "Vulcan's ____" series, with only some revisions necessitated by later canon (Largely dealing with the planet Remus). Much of what Duane established about Romulan culture is still used in the novel-verse.

Christopher wrote: View Post
As for what was included in the internovel continuity that gradually evolved at the time, I find that the simplest way to get a handle on it is to check the acknowledgments of Time for Yesterday by A. C. Crispin, the one book that drew the most heavily on earlier novelists' work, and is thus something of the linchpin of that continuity. In addition to being a sequel to Crispin's Yesterday's Son, it references the books of Diane Duane, Brad Ferguson, John M. Ford, Jean Lorrah, Vonda N. McIntyre, and Howard Weinstein. The Ingrit Tomson references tie J. M. Dillard's series of books into the sequence, and Dillard's The Lost Years references Diane Carey's Dreadnought! and Battlestations! And Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan references a character from McIntyre's The Entropy Effect.
This was largely how I based what to include in the "Charting" thread.
Let's see, going through Voyages of the Imagination, I'd list the following as definite parts of the 1980s Pocket novel continuity, keeping in mind that it's a fairly loose continuity: <snip>

Uhura's Song
Shadow Lord (references McIntyre's Sulu backstory)
Dwellers in the Crucible
Deep Domain
How Much for Just the Planet?
Strangers from the Sky
Christopher: I'm pretty sure that all of these slipped my notice in the "Charting" thread. As I'm trying to find time to work on an update to the "Charting" thread, I hope you don't mind a few qustions on specifics? Any help would be appreciated.

You note Sulu's backstory for Shadow Lord, and I assume that the Klingons in Ford's "How Much..." were consistant with The Final Reflection, but the others? Did they just use the Klinzhai/Rihannsu models for the Klingons and Romulans, or were there other connections? (Characters/events?) It's been soooo long since I've read any of these books...

Thanks in advance.