View Single Post
Old April 11 2011, 02:58 AM   #204
SRFX
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Voyager - A Marathon Re-visit.

Star Trek: Voyager - Season 4 - average score: 3.12

Sigh, Voyager. What am I going to do with you?

Numerically, I guess I haven't quantified or reviewed TNG, DS9 or ENT. But I can't help but feel a comparable score for S4 to Voy's own S1 is a little disappointing.

Sure, things have improved upon seasons 2 and 3, but I was hoping for a more marked improvement in quality. And admittedly, season 1 was a very short season with a lot of the sub-par episodes being pushed on to season 2, so perhaps season 4 can stand on it's own in this regard due to it being a full 26 episode season.

There were many top tier (5 star) episodes this season: Year of Hell Parts 1 & 2, Message in a Bottle and Living Witness.

I also awarded plenty of high scores (4 star): Scorpion Part II, The Gift, Hunters, Prey, The Killing Game Part I and Hope and Fear.

The number of 1 star episodes was also far less than previous seasons, and after recalculating, I worked out the season average score improved if we were to ignore these episodes (Demon and One)

So on the plus side, this has been Voyager's best season yet. On the down side, I'm not confident it measures up well to TNG, DS9 or ENT's best seasons.

I'd have to review those series in more detail, but at the moment, this is how I'm feeling. If Season 5 can maintain or improve on Season 4, then so much the better and I remain optimistic.

Anyway, we'll be going into season 5 with a Harry Horror count currently at only 9. Season 4 has been very good to Harry with his worst (and only near death experience) being right at the start of the season.

That said, it hasn't stopped him being Janeway's whipping boy for a year.
Malcolm Reed & Charles Tucker III
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote