View Single Post
Old April 9 2011, 11:39 PM   #325
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

The film meanders a bit (Eliza's dad is funny, but has a couple of fairly long sequences that don't have anything to do with the rest of the movie)
I'm surprised you give it an a "A+" despite saying that. I thought "A+" means a movie is pretty much perfect. I liked this movie, but there were parts where it really dragged and to use the same word you did, Hepburn was VERY grating at times, to the point where it made me cringe.

It's very uneven, but Rex Harrison never falters and I love that ending. It's my favourite kind of ending with one of those perfect lines that lets you know everything's going to be roses, only implying rather than showing a 'happily ever after' (like the endings of a few Billy Wilder pictures).

CC, what did you think of the ending of "Chloe"? I thought it was pretty hilarious how it was going for tragic and disturbing...it was so over-the-top I couldn't take it seriously. In fact, I think the whole thing is a case of a movie taking itself too seriously when it lacks the subtlety to really deserve that, but yeah, fine performances.

Commando (1985)

This is probably my favorite Arnold Schwarzenegger film and one of the best action films of all time. The film has no ambitions beyond its simple premise, does not take itself seriously and it delivers on everything it promises.
Amen to that. They don't make action movies like this anymore. I love the gleefully obnoxious, vicious, menacing, and vile villains, the excessive violence, and the plethora of very, very funny one-liners. I'll never forget that scene where Arnold and one of the baddies are fighting and this woman watching them exclaims, "These guys eat too much red meat!". I laughed SO hard.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote