View Single Post
Old April 5 2011, 05:58 PM   #312
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

Harvey wrote: View Post
I thought the remake of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (that is, the 70s remake) was better than the original (which was also good).
Right on. I feel the same way. I think that version has one of the best endings I've ever seen. I've recently watched "Bad Santa" and "Homicide". "Bad Santa" is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. When it first came out, I assumed it was just another dumb potty humour comedy. After I saw the brutally honest and haunting documentary "Crumb" and found out it was directed by the same person, I figured there must be something special about it with such a talented director being involved.

While it is incredibly raunchy, it's also smart in a very crude way. Billy Bob Thornton seems to have been born to play the role (probably one of his three best performances after the much more serious "A Simple Plan" and "Monster's Ball") and few movies have made me laugh as hard as this one did.

I love the weird relationship he has with the kid, as the kid accepts every off-the-cuff, filthy thing he says and still chooses to admire him no matter how profane he is. Lauren Graham was delightful too with her adorable Santa fetish and I love how the ending is kinda sentimental without compromising the movie's vulgar tone.

"Homicide" was a very surprisingly thoughtful and intelligent movie. I was expecting just a cop movie with swearing and shooting galore, but it's more about antisemitism and how someone can be torn between how their job and their ethnic background can influence who they are in conflicting ways. It was cool to see Joe "Fat Tony" Mantegna in a strong live action role, but weird to see William H. Macy as a competent tough guy. I'll always think of him as the bumbling wuss from "Fargo".
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote