View Single Post
Old April 5 2011, 12:40 AM   #306
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

49. The War Room (A-)
50. Paul (B)
51. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (A-)

The War Room: I'm a political junkie, so this is a documentary that hits all the right buttons for me as a viewer. Mostly set inside the "War Room" of the 1992 Clinton Presidential Campaign (with a particular focus on James Carville and George Stephanopoulos), the film has more access than most political documentaries you'll see.

It was nominated for an Academy Award in 1994, and, judging from my unfamiliarity with the other nominees, it probably should have won. It's certainly the only film that's had any staying power of the five (including the winner). Of course, with the benefit of almost 20 years of historical perspective, it's harder now to get wrapped up in the Clinton campaign than it was for people at the time; most of the promises given, for a variety of reasons, were never delivered on.

Apparently there's an 82-minute follow-up that was produced for television in 2008, but I haven't seen it.

Paul: This is a fun little movie that likely features more than two hundred sf references in 104 minutes, though it's never as good as either of the Ed Wright-directed films that Pegg and Frost starred together in. The setting of the finale is quite amusing, though, as is the cameo by Steven Spielberg. And Sigourney Weaver still knows how to make an entrance. Enjoyable, but not to the point of requiring repeated viewings or anything.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country: I saw this in 70mm last week here in Los Angeles, and it looked great. It's also the first time that I've seen the theatrical edit since the film was in theatres (and, given I was four at the time, might as well count as the first time I've seen the theatrical edit). It's probably a little tighter than the longer versions that are available on DVD, though I might still prefer those. It's definitely not a perfect movie, but I liked it quite a bit -- even more than I remembered liking it -- and I'm glad I got to see it on the big screen.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote