View Single Post
Old April 4 2011, 12:27 AM   #108
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic Review Thread

I'm just over half-way through the book. I have to say, I don't find it as engaging as I was hoping it would be. I found all of the frequent jumping between the Challenger, Intrepid and other ships a bit jarring for some reason. I also couldn't help but roll my eyes a little at the sheer amount of Small Universe Syndrome going on here. The novel really has felt like some sort of TNG guest star all-star reunion or something (Guinan, Scotty, Leah, Barclay, Ogowa, Rasmussen, Bok). I still have yet to understand why Guinan is aboard (but I suspect by the end of the novel it will make more sense), and I don't see any need to have brought in Barclay and Ogowa when they were already playing roles in other series (VOY and TTN).

Anyways, the book isn't a bad read, but I just am not really sure where the plot is going and it feels a little sloppy in execution. Once I've actually finished the novel, however, my opinion may change and things might work out much better.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote