View Single Post
Old April 1 2011, 11:01 PM   #95
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic Review Thread

Just finished. Not a game-changer, this book, but so many of them have been lately that if anything that's in its favor.

There have been so many stories lately about our crews coming up against impossible situations, apocalypses, irrational political movements, and everything else... It's not that I'm complaining; that may have been my favorite thing about Destiny in the first place, but still. It's nice to be reminded every once in a while that these people are incredibly good at their jobs. This was a sequence of creative and complicated problems that our characters just jumped to and fixed; great fun, not too implausible, and well-situated in current continuity while still being 100% accessible to anyone that'd just picked it up cold.

I did think it would've worked better as two books; parts seemed a little hurried, especially the beginning of part 2, which was exactly where I wanted the pacing to slow a little bit and get some more character stuff on Geordi & Leah.

It's a small thing, though; overall, definitely a nice job all around. Add McIntee to the list (Thorne, Leisner, Bick) that I hope to see more than just one full-length novel from someday.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote