View Single Post
Old March 26 2011, 10:30 PM   #3405
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Easy game for England and we never had to get out of 1st gear but Ghana will be more of a challenge no doubt...

Hart (6) - Had nothing to do, easy 90 minutes.

Johnson (7) - Got forward well and 4-3-3 may suit him but sometimes was too far forward and a better team will expose him

Dawson (7) - Nothing much to do but cleaned up well most of the time.

Terry (7) - Same as Dawson

A.Cole (7) - Got forward well and struck a nice balance with his defensive work.

Parker (8) - Broke up the Wales play with ease and is clearly more of a holding player than Barry but needs to work on his skills with the ball

Lampard (6) - Some decent touches but didn't get in any scoring chances throughout the game and Gerrard will replace him in the long run.

Wilshire (6.5) - Played a few passes through the Wales defence for Bent and this role suits him more than the holding one. However caught with the ball a few times and clearly prefers to play with Arsenal players than England at the moment...Just needs time to mature

Young (8) - Set up the 2nd goal and won the spot kick for the opening goal. I still prefer the direct play of Lennon but Ashley after a miserable past to his England career now looks one for the squad for 2012.

Rooney (6) - Not in the game much and cannot play him on the wing from the start. Stupid to get book and will miss the Swiss game BUT Capello must choose in this formation Bent or Rooney...Not Both

Bent (7) - Scored his 3rd goal in as many matches for England and looks the international player. Unlucky not to latch on to a few Wilshire passes but overall his movement was not as good as against Denmark in February. I would pick ooney over Bent in this formation in the long run but Bent is in the squad to stay.

SUBS
Milner (6) - Not much to do and I prefer to see him play centrally and not on the wing in this formation

Downing (6) - Not on for long but had a nice run near the end and very unlucky to see his shot fly inches wide of the post.

Jagielka (N/A) - Only on for minutes but expect him to start against Ghana.

----------------------------------------------

Overall we did what we needed but this 4-3-3 needs Gerrard in the centre for attacking intent and its Rooney or Bent not both. Adam Johnson and Theo Walcott when they return should thrive with this formation though.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote