View Single Post
Old March 26 2011, 09:03 PM   #278
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

"A Fistful of Dollars".

Pretty pathetic. Every character in the movie except Eastwood's was a stupid jackass caricature. Eastwood was great as a calm, confident, quiet, and morally upright rebel of immense quick draw talent, but he was surrounded by morons. Also, the story was a bore, and the acting (again, aside from Eastwood) was infuriatingly melodramatic and/or over-the-top. How anyone can think this has aged well is beyond me.

The worst thing about this movie was the dubbing. I don't know why they had to make movies like this. They should have just let the actors talk their native language with subtitles while Eastwood spoke English (like a Tarantino movie would). The cheesy dubbing made it like one of those goofy kung fu movies. As I watched it, I felt like I should be listening to some MST3K-style commentary.

I guess this dubbing over everyone except the guy who naturally speaks English was just the way movies were made back then and it couldn't be helped. That's a shame, because it pretty much ruined the movie for me. Well, that and the fact that Eastwood's character was the only one I could care about and take seriously. The last scene was quite exciting and fun...the rest, not so much. I really, really hope the sequel is better, because watching another movie as lame as this one would be a huge waste of time.

The only good things in the movie in the movie were Eastwood's deadpan performance, how hilariously fast he shoots every time he kills people, and the quirky music. I wish I knew what the vocalists were yelling every time they chanted together. It was so funny and cool. The repeating flute motif was a hoot too.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote