Old March 26 2011, 08:31 PM   #120
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse
Re: Worst Star trek actor ever

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
mobes wrote: View Post
Cyke101 wrote: View Post

I actually agree with this statement. For a time I used to get really bewildered at all the praise that Shatner would get on this board, as if people were just kissing his butt out of favoritism more than anything else. But name another prominent show or film with Shatner and it's great. Denny Crane!

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan and I think he does his job in TOS. But TOS-Shatner isn't his best work imo.

Maybe this is why nuKirk got to be captain so fast -- the higher-ups knew that if he didn't get the ship, THIS would happen
You guys are daft! You're only thinking about the really bad bits, the scenes that comedians copy for laughs. There's thousands of other scenes where he doesn't overact, and they're excellent.

Remeber Charlie X for example :
"Go to your quarters, or I'll pick you up and carry you there."

You have to look at all the scenes, not just the intense dramatic, screwed up ones. And the director has some responsibility there too, which is why I don't blame the tng actors solely for their incredibly stiff performances
I've been rewatching TOS lately, so no, I don't think I'm remembering just what comedians are saying. And for a time during the TNG run, I preferred TOS. I just don't find TOS-Shatner to be all that exceptional or nuanced as an actor. The way he slips out of his chair when he finds out that David died in TSFS is great, but you don't see that kind of depth in TOS from him in my opinion (then again, Shatner could have been taking advantage of 20 years worth of experience since TOS, too).
Shatner's best acting work may not have been on TOS, but he was certainly entertaining for the most part. I'd venture to guess that was closer to his job description on TOS than anything to do with a fine performance. Or at least that seems to be how he looked at it.

Anyway I'm glad the show got Shatner instead of Jeffrey Hunter. Talk about a guy who just seemed to suck the fun out of everything.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote