22. Network (A+)
23. Incendies (A+)
24. Mrs. Miniver (A)
25. A Fistful of Dollars (B+)
26. For A Few Dollars More (B)
27. WALL-E (A+)
28. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (A)
29. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (B)

Somewhat inexplicably the IMDB's #4 film of all time.

The third of the Sergio Leone "Man With No Name" films, and clearly the budget available increased about forty-fold between movie 2 and movie 3, because whereas the first two were set in ruined towns inhabited seemingly only by rival gangs of cowboys, now we have a sprawling Civil War epic (which puts a timestamp on the films for the first time; though Clint only acquires his famous poncho at the end of this, so is this a prequel to the others? The dude must have a terrible gambling habit, because he seems to lose huge sums of money between films) with thousands of extras.

Much like the second film, I found this minimized some of the strengths of the first one. Eastwood's probably more of a presence here than in the previous one, but there's still plenty of time where he's only minimally there; Eli Wallach's Tuco isn't nearly as interesting to watch. And where the first one was admirably stripped-down, this likewise makes some stabs at a more serious tone, but it lacks follow-through (though there are some genuinely good moments). Eastwood's character is noticeably less invincible here than in previous films.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote