View Single Post
Old March 22 2011, 04:41 AM   #904
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Re: What games are you playing currently?

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
I've been looking for another WoW (am unhappy with the current actual WoW) and so this seems to be working out rather well for me.

Things I'm glad aren't in Rift-
1. Cross-realm dungeon finder
2. Flying mounts
3. Recount
4. Gearscore

Rift's visual aesthetic does have some issues but just out of curiosity did you make it to the capital city? I thought that was rather well done.
I actually loved the cross-realm dungeon finder until Cataclysm hit and then it became absolutely horrible, especially for a DPSer. 45 minute waits just to fail and have your crappy tank or healer drop party after one attempt just wore on my last WoW nerve. I do like the speed of flying mounts and recount and gearscore are useful tools, but far too heavily relied upon. If Rift lasts and is really successful, I bet money you'll start seeing add-ons for that in the same vein. I did see the capital city and it was neat enough, I guess. I just wasn't blown away by anything graphically. It wasn't awful, but there wasn't much to it either.

What I meant by the maturity of the world I meant more like it takes itself somewhat seriously. There are elf type races and people type races but everyone more or less looks like a person, no giant cartoon cows or impossibly lanky trolls with Jamaican voices. That's part of what is fun with WoW, true, but something that plays a bit more as straight fantasy is nice for a change. I'd forgotten what that kind of game world was like.
I do see what you're saying and that all is a huge part of WoW's charm, but I can definitely understand the urge to play something a bit more mature. I just don't think this is the one for me. I'm also on a bit of an MMO hiatus now so that I can actually build some enthusiasm for TOR.