View Single Post
Old March 15 2011, 05:17 AM   #30
Re: Organic or 'conventional'?

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Wow.. The OP must be an American, I can't believe how misinformed they are. Stunning.
Oh give me a break. This anti-Americanism is so tired and passe and it certainly doesn't make you sound intelligent or well informed, just prejudiced.

Anyway, to the topic: It's true that "organic" as a marketing buzzword doesn't have any real meaning, so it is unwise to assume that something labeled as such was actually grown/raised/produced in a way that meets one's own standards of what is natural, safe, and healthy. Personally, I like to know what I'm putting in my body, so I simply stick with whole foods from trusted sources. I try always to buy hormone free meat products and stick with packaged foods with fewer than 5 or 6 ingredients, all of which I can easily pronounce.

As to the article about early puberty, it is interesting, and clearly the possible side-effects of chemicals in food production and agriculture are alarming. However, (to play the Devil's Advocate) it is inconclusive. There are a number of theories as to why girls are going through puberty early, one mentioned in the article being the relation to overweight and obesity. Another interesting theory I read about was that the proliferation of sexual imagery in our culture (on TV, in ads, etc.) is to blame.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangledcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote