View Single Post
Old March 15 2011, 06:17 AM   #30
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: Organic or 'conventional'?

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Wow.. The OP must be an American, I can't believe how misinformed they are. Stunning.
Oh give me a break. This anti-Americanism is so tired and passe and it certainly doesn't make you sound intelligent or well informed, just prejudiced.

Anyway, to the topic: It's true that "organic" as a marketing buzzword doesn't have any real meaning, so it is unwise to assume that something labeled as such was actually grown/raised/produced in a way that meets one's own standards of what is natural, safe, and healthy. Personally, I like to know what I'm putting in my body, so I simply stick with whole foods from trusted sources. I try always to buy hormone free meat products and stick with packaged foods with fewer than 5 or 6 ingredients, all of which I can easily pronounce.

As to the article about early puberty, it is interesting, and clearly the possible side-effects of chemicals in food production and agriculture are alarming. However, (to play the Devil's Advocate) it is inconclusive. There are a number of theories as to why girls are going through puberty early, one mentioned in the article being the relation to overweight and obesity. Another interesting theory I read about was that the proliferation of sexual imagery in our culture (on TV, in ads, etc.) is to blame.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote