Old March 13 2011, 01:55 AM   #237
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

20. The Illusionist (B)
21. The French Connection (B+)
22. Network (A+)
23. Incendies (A+)

One of the nominees for Best Foreign Language Film at this year's Oscars, the fifth Canadian film to be nominated - it was probably the runner-up at the ceremony; and it just swept the Genie Awards, winning eight, including Picture, Director, and Actress (most of what it didn't win was won Barney's Version). The title translates as Scorched, but much like Les Miserables, the French word comes across well enough on its own. It's the story of two Lebanese-Canadian twins who are informed on their mother's death that their father and heretofore-unmentioned brother are still alive in Lebanon, from whence mom fled during the civil war. They go on a quest to find out their family history, and the search is intercut with their mom's history. Writer-director Denis Villeneuve, one of new top guns of French Canadian cinema, does a great job with this; the pieces of the story come together remarkably well. Sophocles would have admired the finale.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote