View Single Post
Old March 12 2011, 03:57 PM   #47
mmtz
Lieutenant Commander

Re: iPad Owners: What was the first Star Trek title you bought/loaded?

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
Has anyone read any of the Trek comics on iPad? If so, how would you say that experience was?
The iPad is terrific for comics in PDF, CBZ or CBR formats.

There are dozens of PDF reader apps including several that are free, like iBooks. I prefer GoodReader for iPad which has lots of built-in tools for moving files to the device. GoodReader is $4.99 these days but has been on sale for $0.99 before.

There are about a dozen CBZ/CBR reader apps, some free. I've been using Comic Zeal Comic Reader, a $7.99 app, because it handles poorly produced CBZ/CBR files gracefully. CloudReaders is a decent free app for CBZ/CBR files.

The key issue with reading comics on the iPad is the quality of the scanning. The PDF files in Star Trek: The Complete Comic Book Collection on DVD (only $8.40 at Amazon today) are nice to have on my iPad, but are a little difficult to read because they were scanned two pages at a time. If you want to see a page at the full size of the iPad screen, you have to zoom in, which isn't very convenient. I have other comics that have been scanned one page at a time, making them very easy to read. I took all of Rich Handley's scans of the British Star Trek comic strips, loaded them into CBZ files and moved them to my iPad, where they are much easier to read than on a desktop display.

The major comic publishers all offer digital comics and their own apps for buying and reading new comics on the iPad. I've tried a few and found the reading experience acceptable. This is a good way to explore new titles. I still buy new Star Trek comics in print though and I'm waiting to learn if IDW has anything more in the pipeline.