View Single Post
Old March 11 2011, 12:47 AM   #4
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life

Cmdr Shepard wrote: View Post
Greatest discover ever.
If confirmed.

Hoover, who has spent more than 10 years studying meteorites around the world, told FoxNews.com in an interview. “This field of study has just barely been touched — because quite frankly, a great many scientist [sic] would say that this is impossible.”
This is patently untrue, as astrobiology is pretty much hot stuff in the world of astronomy. I've attended a few workshops about it, and people are very open-minded about the possibility of life out there. They just want their research to be as flawless and robust as possible. Given the importance of the any possible discovery, it's the wisest approach.

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
This researcher has made some pretty extravagant claims before and the Journal of Cosmology has published some questionable research (in fact, I believe it's now out of business). I wouldn't make any bets on this being the big one.
Well, I am a cosmologist, and in all honesty I've never heard of the Journal of Cosmology until today.

This is what wiki says about them:

wiki wrote:
While the journal describes itself as peer-reviewed several people have questioned the integrity of the process.

Particularly, the journal is accused of promoting fringe viewpoints on astrobiology, astrophysics and quantum physics.
EtA:

I've got a look at their website, and it doesn't look professional, at all. More like a personal webpage from the early 90s.

Also, they rebuked the criticism of Hoover's paper with the title "Have the Terrorist won?" Then they went on commenting that "only a few crackpots and charlatans have denounced Hoover study", and that "tremendous efforts have been made to shout [sic] down the truth, and the same crackpots, self-promoters, liars, and failures are quoted repeatedly in the media". Then they concluded the piece comparing themselves to Giordano Bruno, NASA to the Inquisition, calling the science communitym "raving lunatics", "frothing-at-the-mouth", "frightned and terrorized", "terrorists" and "lunatic fringe".

So... yeah. I wouldn't hold my breath about the legitimacy of this discovery. As they say: I'll be delighted to be proven wrong, but I'm delighted very rarely.

Last edited by iggy_pop; March 11 2011 at 01:04 AM.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote