View Single Post
Old March 10 2011, 07:07 PM   #50
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Decent movie versions of classic novels

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
True and didn't Peter Cushing drop out at the last minute as well? After his wife died?
That was round about the same time, so probably

(For the uninitiated, we're talking about BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB, which was later remade as THE AWAKENING.)

Although, now that I think of it, sure, there's a reincarnation angle in Jewel of Seven Stars, but it's not the long-lost-love-reborn angle that the later mummy movies (and Dracula adaptations) have milked.
I remember it as being the same angle, but I'll admit to not having read it for a couple of decades. I do have a 1970s copy in the spare room, though, so I might dig it out if I can find it.
As I recall, the archaeologist's daughter turns out to have been possessed by the spirit of the evil Egyptian queen at birth, so it's more of a possession story than a reincarnated lovers story. (The daughter has a suitor in the manner of the Jonathan Harker, but that's about it. There's no timeless love story.)

And I believe Andrew Keir replaced Cushing at the last minute.

Just to bring things back OT, Jewel of Seven Stars is Bram Stoker's second-most famous book, after Dracula, and probably the only one of his other novels that is still readable these days.

Trust me, the movie version of Lair of the White Worm is much better than the original novel . . . .