Old March 9 2011, 05:25 AM   #19
JD
Admiral

Re: Decent movie versions of classic novels

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Tarzan
Disney version; immensely underrated.
I love Disney's Tarzan. It was what introduced me to Phil Collins.
Three Musketeers
The 1970s version with, among others, Michael York, is probably the best version at the moment.
Les Mes
Mid-90s version with Liam Neeson as Valjean.
I've actually had this in my Netflix Que since before I started my classics read. I'm a huge fan of Liam Neeson, Claire Danes, Geoffrey Rush and Uma Thurman, so as soon as I saw them in it I added it.
Oliver Twis
Polanski's version was good, for a straight
take; the musical is quite fun, too.
Ugh, Polanski. After learning what he did, I try not to watch his movies, but I made an exception for Rosemary's Baby, so I guess I might make one for this too.
Sherlock Holmes
The recent Robert Downey Jr. version is a very fun action-oriented take.
Saw it and loved it.

For more classical ones, apart from the BBC stuff that everyone recommends, there's a very good 1979 film called Murder By Decree starring Christopher Plummer as Holmes.
Oooo Gen. Chang!
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
50s Disney version.
Frankenstein
The only film version that really comes close to the novel (that I've seen) is Kenneth Branagh's early 90s take; it's flawed, but worth seeing.
I'm a big fan of most of the cast of that one, so it's actually been on my Netflix Instant Que pretty much since I started it. I just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.