View Single Post
Old March 7 2011, 03:16 AM   #639
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Sigils and Unions--The Thirteenth Order

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
Spirodopoulos did a lot of thinking. I hope that finally, after summarising everything while talking to Berat, he can finally become sure that this is not a gigantic Cardassian conspiracy of unknown purpose. Gul Berat was right, how much more they would have to go through together, how much more the Cardassians would have to do to gain his (and his comrades') trust, what else could they do to prove that they are sincere? Will that "phase of proof" even end, or are the Cardassians going be scrutinised endlessly and endlessly their motives questions?
I think Spirodopoulos is becoming aware of this in himself, too. He's not at ease with his own line of questioning. And I don't think he was happy when he realized he'd hurt Gul Berat's feelings.

It seems that Spirodopoulos (poor Gul Berat, the name is too long and too difficult? ) started to believe in their sincerity, but I still have an impression that he had his doubts and it would take a tiny mistake (or avoiding to look into his eyes) to cancel all events confirming Cardassian honesty and completely ruin that little trust they have gained so far.
On the "avoiding the eyes" thing, I think that Spirodopoulos caught himself on that one, and realized that for Cardassians, avoidance behaviors of that nature are not a signal of guilt, the way they are for many human cultures. It's actually a signal of deference/submission meant to placate someone who has demonstrated aggressive/dominant behavior. (By "aggressive" I do not mean throwing punches.) It's a way for a Cardassian to say, "I am no threat or challenge to you."

There is one piece of evidence that can have a dramatic impact on Spirodopoulos' confidence. Once that comes in, he'll have to understand that what the Cardassians are saying is true.

And the Greek commander seems to be one of most open Starfleeters. Zh’Thessel's clear aggression shows that for some of them it's still not enough, it's still not good, it's still a suspicious situation
It'll be interesting to see if it changes if Spirodopoulos makes a final decision, don't you think? As for zh'Thessel, she comes from a borderworld colony, so there is something personal there. (She's the same one that smarted off to Gul Macet.)