View Single Post
Old March 5 2011, 03:42 AM   #103
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: ST: Shaping a Cardassian - "Strength Without Sacrifice is Useless"

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
My Cardassians wanted to remove "religious superiority" of the Oralians, but they didn't want to completely "delete" and recreate culture from scratch. Those extreme revolutionists were stopped from doing it, as "normal" revolutionists wanted the people's support. Denying all their customs could turn the people against them, not make them follow them.
Mine inflamed the people's anger so much that enough people did want to destroy the old culture--anything that even slightly reminded them of the Oralians--that they could win the revolution and then start working on killing dissenters.

I remember that, this certainly appeared a few times in your stories, especially in contexts of sudden approach and risks it could pose.
Right...my Cardassians' aversion to unexpected/sudden touch, and the intimacy of invited touch, is because they have an additional sense. The bioelectric sense used to be stronger in their ancestors, because it helped them detect prey and avoid other predators. I got the idea from the Cardassian vole--or at least the reason I thought the vole loved power conduits.