View Single Post
Old March 3 2011, 03:40 PM   #656
Christopher
Writer

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Actually, Darkseid's first appearence was in an issue of Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen-#134 (November 1970). So yes, he could be considered a villain of Superman's.
I'm aware of his origins, but remember, Jack Kirby was writing SPJO at that time and taking it in his own weird directions, using it to create the Fourth World mythos that spun off into other series. Darkseid began in a Superman spinoff title, but he didn't subsequently function as a core member of Superman's rogues' gallery. He was more of a general DC Universe villain.

I'm not making this up, you know. Bruce Timm and his colleagues talking about the development of S:TAS have explained that they found Superman's rogues' gallery weak once you got past Luthor, Brainiac, and possibly Metallo, so they decided to bring in Darkseid as a major nemesis for Superman, more so than he'd been before. And that's influenced subsequent uses of the character, for instance, Smallville currently using him as the Big Bad in their final season.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote