View Single Post
Old March 2 2011, 11:08 PM   #810
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Devin Faraci apparently has heard from a good source that Batman will be facing against Talia and The League of Shadows in The Dark Knight Rises. Bane will be Talia's muscle and possible love interest. Catwoman will start out the film as Batman's enemy, but toward the end of the film will end up being his ally.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. If we do see a return of The League of Shadows, I sure hope we see a return of Ra's al Ghul. I'm not sure how I feel about Bane being Talia's lackey. However this does make sense especially after hearing rumors in the past several months hinting at Talia. I would have preferred a fresh story, but if Nolan can somehow pull this off, and if we can see a return of Liam Neeson as Ra's al Ghul, then it could be rather interesting.

Thoughts?
I'll be shocked if he's not back, as I've held since the first time I saw the end of BBegins that Ra's return was inevitable - and well set-up with his speech at Wayne Manor, "But... is Ra's al Ghul immortal?" As for Neeson saying he won't be back - classic Hollywood misdirection. They'll want it to be a big reveal in the story. But even if he's not, the return of the League is welcome - there was always a quality to BBegins that felt a little unfinished on that score, and the alteration Nolan made to the League as operators in a shadow history I thought was really fun. It also keeps the focus squarely in Gotham, which is something that has worked tremendously well in these movies. Batman, in my humble opinion, works best in that narrowly focused world.

Sounds to me like Bane will be the major player in the League that Ra's wanted Bruce to be, which keeps a lot of dynamics from the comics stories (Bane as Bruce's brother/ Bane as Ra's choice to be his heir when he'd given up on Bruce, that is, Bane as Batman's dark shadow). I'm sure he'll be plenty bad ass enough to satisfy all fanboy yearnings. There's also the possiblity that he and Talia are essentially the new Ra's, if he is good and dead. I find the idea of a villainous couple kinda intriguing - and could work towards a story in which they are the foil to Batman and Catwoman.

ETA: One last thought, and this may be crazy, if Neeson is being straight up and he won't be back as Ra's - might Joseph Gordon-Levitt be playing a younger Ra's, healed/ resurrected by the Lazarus Pit or other means? I know it sounds like it wouldn't fit with the naturalism of Nolan's films, but when you've built up "realism capital" the way these movies have, you could spend it on one big bit of fantasy.