View Single Post
Old March 2 2011, 12:17 AM   #382
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

Re: Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts Of Empire review thread

Christopher wrote: View Post
rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
Why would Section 31 necessarily be involved with the Khitomer Conspiracy?
Yeah, that's the other problem with conspiracy-theory thinking that annoys me so much -- this assumption that just because Section 31 exists, it must be the only organization behind any and every secretive or unethical event that's ever happened in Federation history. It's part of the paranoid mentality that underlies conspiracy fantasies, the need to fit everything into some overarching pattern with a singular root cause. But like I said, any conspiracy that far-reaching and active would not be able to maintain its secrecy effectively. Not to mention that it's just plain Small-Universe Syndrome.
I actually agree, Chris.

"Starfleet doesn't sneak around! It's immoral!"
But Kirk and Spock snuck around in "The Enterprise Incident".
"Section 31!"

"Starfleet wouldn't conspire to assasinate people! It's immoral!"
Cartwright did, in The Undiscovered Country.
"Section 31!"

"Starfleet wouldn't secretly do expiriments which break a treaty! It's immoral!"
Admiral Pressmen did, in "The Pegasus".
"Section 31!"

And my all-time favorite:
"Starfleet wouldn't forcibly relocate an entire people! The Federation Council would NEVER give such an order! It's immoral!"
What about Insurrection?
"Section 31!"

I could take the others, to an extent...but when I read that "reveal" in Abyss...I gave a considerable mental groan and eye-roll.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Supreme Dittodrone is offline   Reply With Quote