View Single Post
Old February 27 2011, 10:12 PM   #627
flemm
Fleet Captain

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I think it's a little ironic that people are saying 'Oh, this movie will be influenced by Batman Begins, not Superman The Movie', given that Nolan and Goyer were very clear at the time of BB that they wanted to make a Batman movie in the vein of Richard Donner's Superman movie...
Well, I expect it will be in the vein of the Donner film in the sense that it will be an origin story that attempts to capture the sense of wonder that the character should, in theory, inspire. But, like Batman Begins, it will tell an updated version of the origin story, the untold story that we have never really seen before, blablabla. That's how Batman Begins was marketed, though the movie was basically the traditional origin story with a few updates, alterations and a bit more of a gritty tone.

I'm not much of a fan of BB, and I'm not as crazy about TDK as many people are, but it's hard for me to believe that the Superman reboot won't try to follow the same basic pattern: revamped origin story, followed by a film featuring the most iconic adversary.

Christopher, some very interesting ideas there, and I'm sure many of them could produce excellent stories. I particularly like the idea of a film focusing on Lois Lane's perspective, however I would bank on a more traditional origin story from this particular film.

By the way, when I say that there will perhaps be a bit more of a Kryptonian emphasis, I'm not suggesting that the film will be mostly about what happens on Krypton (potentially interesting, speaking in absolute terms, but not likely for this type of movie), but rather that I wouldn't be surprised to see the Kryptonian aspect developed a bit more than in the Donner film, for a variety of reasons, one being that the villains in the first film will probably be from there.

Zod makes sense because, yeah, that's somebody for Supes to fight. One possibility would be a sort of fusion of the origin story with a "Zod comes to earth and tries to take over" story.

Last edited by flemm; February 27 2011 at 10:26 PM.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote