View Single Post
Old February 27 2011, 07:29 PM   #211
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

16. House (1977) - B. Extremely bizarre Japanese horror / teen romp film with psychedelic underpinnings. Has a strange mix of dramatic, comedic, horrific and ironic elements that I think you could only get from a Japanese film. Takes a while to get rolling but is fairly entertaining once it does. Some of the effects sequences are extremely creative- a good example of doing a lot with limited resources.

17. Institute Benjamenta - B-. I'm pretty sure this film is about the inevitable fall of authoritarianism in western society. Maybe. Beautifully shot film without a real meaning, sort of like Eraserhead. I think I enjoyed Piano Tuner a bit more of the two Quay brothers films.

18. The Triplets of Belleville (rewatch) - A. I really like this movie. It's so strange! And the characters are so French. I think a well-written satire from another country can really give you a sense what that country is about. One of the better animated films of the past 20 years. I think it deserves what recognition it has gotten.