View Single Post
Old February 26 2011, 05:01 AM   #353
Christopher
Writer

Re: Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts Of Empire review thread

Valeris wrote: View Post
What the Federation considers to be "day-to-day" average activities and goals (particularly in the post-Destiny universe), like the ones I mentioned, could all be interpreted as aggressive or preemptive preparations for war by the Typhon Pact powers.
That's not what I'm talking about. That's taking a demonized view of the Pact, portraying them as unreasonably paranoid and looking for an excuse to fight. That's misunderstanding the situation. I wish people would stop trying to define the Pact as The Villains and recognize instead that they're simply other nations, nations that make choices for reasons that are as nuanced as anyone else's.

What I'm saying is that if the Federation actually did choose to relate to the Pact as an enemy -- arming specifically against them, taking pre-emptive intelligence actions to undermine them, the same sort of stupid paranoid decisions that America has too often made, thereby creating enemies for itself that it didn't have to have -- then that will scare the Pact, justifiably, into seeing the Federation as a threat to them, and they'll react defensively and strike back. This is a pattern that Earth's nations fall into all too often -- two sides with no desire to attack one another, each assuming that the other side is a threat and arming defensively against them, so that the other side sees their arming as a sign of imminent aggression, so they respond in kind, and the mutual paranoia drives them to a totally unnecessary enmity. I'd like to think that the Federation is somewhat more mature than that, that they're able to recognize what should be common sense: that if you pre-emptively expect someone to be an enemy and treat them as an enemy, then you'll make them fear you and strike against you in self-defense. So your own fear makes them your enemy when they didn't have to be.

See, what you need to do is put yourself in the Pact's shoes, understand how they see the galaxy and what motivates them, and then think about how the Federation should respond to achieve the best outcome. As long as you think of the Pact only as the Other, you can't really know what motivates them, and it's that ignorance that leads to fearing the worst, and it's fearing the worst that leads to treating someone as an enemy, which tends to make them an enemy if they weren't already. If you learn how the other guys really think and see the world instead of just making fearful assumptions, you have a much better chance of finding a way to interact with them peacefully and safely.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote