View Single Post
Old February 25 2011, 08:02 PM   #347
Dancing Doctor
Admiral

Location: At the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound
View Dancing Doctor's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dancing Doctor
Re: Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts Of Empire review thread

Where, then, is the line to be drawn? At building up of the fleet? At fortification of Starbases? What would be considered sufficient readiness, and what would be going too far?

After all, if an opposing power is particularly testy (as the Breen and the Tholians seem to be), it could proclaim anything our side does for the sake of readiness as an act of war.
Or, at the very least, an act of aggression.

Just off the top of my head, here are my thoughts on what would be considered prudent actions that are, in my opinion, the least likely to offend:

1. A general rebuilding of the fleet. 40% of Starfleet was destroyed in the Borg Invasion of 2381. It's understandable to want to get it back up to it's pre-invasion numbers. Now, I would recommend a balanced rebuilding (i.e., don't focus on building 1000 Defiant-class or Akira-class starships) but make sure that the ships do have top-of-the-line technology and equipment. Also, don't necessarily build all new starship classes, but new models of existing or "old" classes that have been proven.

2. A general reinforcing/"upgrading" of all Starbases. If you're modifying all over, it makes it harder (note I am acknowledging the fact that there will possibly still be complaints) to claim it's being done as an act of aggression.

3. Promote a program of inspection/examination of planets and materials within the Federation's borders. I'm fairly sure that there are locations that haven't been fully explored or had resources fully utilized/examined.

4. Expand trade deals and other agreements with current allies (this seems to be in the process of occurring).

Loyal member of the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees
Dancing Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote