Old February 24 2011, 07:45 PM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: New Vulcan

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Devon wrote: View Post
Like OneBuckFilms and Hythlodeus mentioned.. things changed in this timeline.
Which is what I said in an earlier post...

BillJ wrote: View Post

Something changed... as Pike was able to recognize Nero as a Romulan. In 2265, Spock said that neither side had visual contact with the other... hence the surprise when we see the Romulan commander in Balance of Terror.
I would assume the Nero was speaking Romulan and not "Federation Standard" when he contacted the Kelvin. The conversation would be included in the Kelvins logs. (Preserved on the shuttles) Any review of them would show a Vulcanoid speaking Romulan. From that point on the sehlat was out of the bag.

Do we really need everything spelled out????
But we do know that dialects change over time (Nero is from 130 years in the future) and that Romulan is so close to Vulcan that the Lieutenant manning the Enterprise communication console couldn't tell the two apart, even with the Universal Translator.

Maybe the Universal Translator wasn't going to be installed until Tuesday.

And they can't be serious that the Romulan language only has three dialects... I count dozens of dialects of English alone. Or is it that Uhura speaks the three known dialects (another 'one hell of a coincidence' for a movie full of them) with perhaps hundreds still unknown?

Last edited by BillJ; February 24 2011 at 08:02 PM.
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote