View Single Post
Old February 22 2011, 12:49 PM   #771
Dancing Doctor
Admiral

Location: At the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound
View Dancing Doctor's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dancing Doctor
Re: How is Janeway sexy?

froot wrote: View Post
Valeris wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post

Let us reflect on the years forever lost to us, Admiral Janeway's years in the original timeline before she traveled back and fucked it over forever.
I'd have liked to see something covering those years, since they had a profound effect on her, and the timeline by extension.

BTW, I found this quote from the funeral scene (I forget which book) for Janeway:

For the love I bear her, and for the love each of you still carry with you, I call upon you not to rest until those who are responsible for my sister's death are made to answer for what they have done. If you truly honour what she lived for, if you truly wish to memorialize the contributions she made to this Federation, do not forget how she lived, or how she died. Do not seek to heal this wound. Keep it open. And let it give you the strength you need to find and destroy the monsters who took her from us. Do not take 'no' for an answer. She wouldn't have."
I've read a couple fanfics about the "missing years." One was well-written, IIRC, but it was absolutely, unequivocally dark. Like, extremely dark. But it actually sort of fit into canon.
I'm scared now.

That quote is from Full Circle, by the by. It's Phoebe Janeway's speech at the funeral. Peter David wouldn't have written something nice like that for Janeway. Plus I'm sort of wondering if that was Kirsten Beyer's way of inserting her opinion on the whole debacle.
I had thought it was from Full Circle. I knew for a fact it wasn't Before Dishonor.

And I would love it if that were Kirsten Beyer's opinion.

Valeris wrote: View Post

Oh we are keeping it OPEN all right, open and bleeding all over the internet do you hear that peterfuckingdavid?!?!??!

I'm still self-enforcing that embargo on his books.

As I recall Chakotay was standing at the edge of the crowd during that scene having an emo attack which he then continued to have for at least 2 books.
P-retty much.

I liked the way the new Voyager novels were/are written, but I wasn't all that in favor of Chakotay.
I got very very weary of him. Not that it didn't sort of fit his character, potentially. It's the dwelling on the angst which Treklit sometimes does really badly IMHO.
Definitely agreed, particularly with the dwelling. I mean, jeezus...

The missing years would make a great book, with the right writer. Sometimes they are really excellent when they can sidestep canon/timeline constrictions and just have at it.

Loyal member of the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees